Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting

To: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:09:27 -0700
On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 09:16:38AM -0700, Radiosporting Fan wrote:
> --- Mike Tessmer <Mike.Tessmer@hillmangroup.com>
> wrote:
> > Something I've never quite understood is why are FM
> > QSOs seemingly looked down upon by so many in the
> > VHF contesting community?
>
> Simple ignorance.

I don't think that is true.  Most VHF/UHF contesters get on SSB/CW because
that is were the majority of the contest activity takes place.  Adding
FM capability increases the cost and complexity of the station.

To add FM, you'll at least want a different antenna for each band, as
FM users are typically vertically polarized and not horizontally polarized.
Adding additional antennas either means putting up verticals (relatively
lower gain) or taking up valuable mast space with vertically-polarized
yagis.  You might need or want a separate transceiver.  VHF/UHF stations
built around transverters might either not be capable of FM because the IF
rig doesn't do FM on the IF band, or not have the frequency coverage to
get to the normal FM subbands (a common problem on 70 cm).  To provide FM
functionality to the same degree as SSB/CW functionality can easily double
to the cost of the station and greatly increases the complexity of
operating the station.  Someone contemplating this cost/benefit scenario
might easily conclude that they'd have more fun and do more to increase
their contest score by investing in other things, like amplifiers, or
SSB/CW gear for a new band.

Having said that, I think having a 35-50 watt 2M mobile FM rig and a vertical
or short vertically-polarized fixed yagi pointed at the nearest big city
is great for picking up additional QSOs from stations with HF+6 rigs who
also have 2M FM.  But, it's much harder trying to justify the time and
effort to get on 222 MHz FM, or to put up big directional antennas on 2M FM,
etc.

>                   The same goes for Packet, PSK31,
> RTTY, AM, Spark, FSK441, CW, etc.  If it puts a QSO in
> my log, in accordance with the rules of the contest, I
> will use it. :)

The problem with the digital modes in VHF contests are (a) not very
many stations are equipped for the digital modes, and (b) any station you
can work on AX.25, PSK31, or RTTY can be worked faster on SSB/CW.  The WSJT
modes are gaining in popularity, but they require skeds, which kind of
detracts from the fun of making random contacts in a contest.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com