Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting
From: Bob Witte K0NR <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:47:11 -0600
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:09:27 -0700
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
wrote:

 >To add FM, you'll at least want a different antenna for each band, as
 >FM users are typically vertically polarized and not horizontally
polarized.
 >Adding additional antennas either means putting up verticals (relatively
 >lower gain) or taking up valuable mast space with vertically-polarized
 >yagis.

    During the last few contests, I've noticed something interesting on
    222 MHz.
    I have a 222 MHz FM rig that I use for QRP portable work...cheap,
    light, compact...
    I use a horizontally-polarized yagi antenna, since most of the
    stations out there
    will be horizontally polarized. So I live with the inefficiency of
    FM but not the
    polarization loss. I figure I work 90% of the locals that have 222
    MHz, missing
    a few that can't switch over to FM. I am sure I'd miss some distant
    grids on 222 MHz
    ...if there are any :-)  Sometimes we work on 223.5 MHz, sometimes
    lower in the band to accomodate antenna tuning.

    The funny part is that the general activity often shifts over to FM,
    with even the serious
    SSB stations working each other on FM.

    73, Bob K0NR