Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting
From: Bob Witte K0NR <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:33:38 -0600
Tom wrote:
> OK for what it's worth, I attempt to make contact on FM during ever
> contest.  In addition to setting up a second radio to monitor 146.55 and
> 147.54, I also call CQ ever once and a while.
>
> At best I get two to three additional contacts via FM.  Unlike W4KXY,
> I've netted a few on 446.00 FM.  Seems that a few people monitor the
> calling frequency out here.  Can't catch people monitoring 146.52 but do
> pick up a few on 446.00.
>
> 73,  Tom  K6EU

I've had a similar experience on 446.0 MHz. There are simplex-oriented
folks that monitor
that frequency. They typically aren't participating in the contest but
they may be aware of it
and they are happy to work anyone that comes up on frequency.
Most of the time, they know their grid but sometimes I have to work
through that with them.

2M FM is noticeably different since 146.52 MHz is not allowed. You miss
all the guys that
are monitoring the calling frequency (who are arguably more likely to
respond to a random
call....after all, it is the calling frequency). Calling on other
simplex frequencies may yield
some contacts but it is hit or miss. Publicizing a particular 2M FM
frequency for contest
contacts in advance helps but is not a substitute for a calling frequency.