Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting

To: wa4kxy@bellsouth.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM in VHF Contesting
From: Tom Carney <tomc7@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:43:00 -0700
Jim Worsham wrote:
> W4NH runs FM on 2, 222 and 432 bands.  Being the 2 meter guy I call CQ on
> 146.55 whenever things get slow on SSB.  I make a few Qs every contest but
> not nearly as many as you would think.  We make a fair number of contacts on
> 223.5 also.  I don't recall ever making a contact on 446.
>
> 73
> Jim, W4KXY

OK for what it's worth, I attempt to make contact on FM during ever
contest.  In addition to setting up a second radio to monitor 146.55 and
147.54, I also call CQ ever once and a while.

At best I get two to three additional contacts via FM.  Unlike W4KXY,
I've netted a few on 446.00 FM.  Seems that a few people monitor the
calling frequency out here.  Can't catch people monitoring 146.52 but do
pick up a few on 446.00.

73,  Tom  K6EU

PS: will be monitoring 146.55 and 147.54 during FD.