Re: [VHFcontesting] Dumb question about Mirage amp

To: k4gun@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Dumb question about Mirage amp
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 12:57:03 -0600 (CST)
Hi Steve,

I have found running QRP in most contests that I can work almost everyone
I can hear with 10 watts IF that station has his beam pointed toward me.

A station running a kW or even 100 watts may be audible to me but he just
isn't going to hear me if his beam is pointed somewhere else.

That's one of the frustrations of running QRP-Portable.  Sometimes you try
to get the attention of a loud station with his antenna pointed away but
never do.

What antenna are you using and how long is the boom?

73, Zack W9SZ