Re: [VHFcontesting] 20 perent rule

To: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 20 perent rule
From: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:12:44 -0500
I don't know about that.  I think it would be pretty hard to "game" at 20
percent.  If you're out with a group and you still manage to make 80% of
your contacts with base stations, I say more power to you.  You're operating
within the spirit of the rules at that point.

I honestly don't think it could be done though.  I don't think any group
could come close to 80% base contacts in a contest.  No amount of "washing"
the log will clear that up without deleting a huge number of contacts.
Those contacts would just be rover to rover contacts anyway.

I just looked at my log from January.  I had a strange situation happen this
time.  A high power rover happened to be at a grid convergence at the same
time I was.  We were never close enough to see each other and didn't
coordinate contacts, but still managed 20 contacts between us.  It was very
unusual and each of us were happy to have the extra Q's.

In the rest of the contest, I only had 5 other rover contacts.  That's 25
contacts out of 227.  I've never had more than 8 in the other contests.

I really think a limit of 20% would be generous, but we could even go
higher.  As it is, N6NB's group is very close to 100%.  Even if the limit
were 50%, that would put an effective end to the practice of focusing
inward.  They would have to search for real contacts if they wanted to
submit logs as Classic or Limited Rover.  That's really the point, isn't it?

Steve
K4GUN/R