[VHFcontesting] VUAC proposal to ARRL

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VUAC proposal to ARRL
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:15:45 -0600
Hello fellow VHF contesters.  As you may know, I am the Dakota Division
VUAC representative.  A full list of who is your ARRL Division VUAC
representative can be found at http://www.arrl.org/contests/vuac.html .
Just prior to the ARRL's January board meeting, your VUAC made the
following proposed VHF contest rule changes to the ARRL's Program &
Services Committee (PSC) whom we report to.

Rover rules.  Change the General VHF Contest Rules to read:
2.3.8.  Any rover making more than 30 contacts with any one other rover, or
more than 50% of its total contacts with other rovers, will be placed in
the Unlimited Rover category.
2.4.  Limited Rover.  Same as the "Rover" class above but participates with
no more than the four lowest frequency bands that are defined for any given
contest.   Their output power is restricted to the same power levels as
those defined for the Single Operator Low Power category (2.1.1)

Minimum distance rule.  Modify the General VHF Contest Rules to read:
1.10   While no minimum distance is specified for contacts, equipment shall
have been demonstrated to be capable of communications at a range of at
least 1 km.

Add club competition to the August UHF Contest.   Modify General Contest
rule 8.1.9 by adding the following section:
8.1.9  (August) UHF Contest.

In addition to these three proposals, there was a fourth proposal that
dealt with proposed rule changes to the EME contest .... I didn't not copy
those here as most of the discussion has been around the rover rules.   For
the Rover category you can see that we tightened the number of
rover-to-rover contacts without being overly prescriptive and while still
allowing for this type of fun contesting as a Unlimited Rover.  We also
refocused the Limited Rover concept on "Joe- 706" by stating its the lowest
four bands, not any four bands you want.    The minimum distance rule was
slight strengthened to insure that equipment can indeed work at least 1 km.
I think there are 16 VUAC members, so as you would guess we have wide
ranging discussions before this compromised was reached.   Its my
understand that the VUAC proposal was passed on to the ARRL's Award
Committee which is a part of the process that all of this takes.

I may have stuck my neck out a bit as presenting work in progress .....
these proposed changes may or may not take affect .... but based on the
recent discussion here it seemed reasonable to keep fellow VHF contesters
informed.

73, Jon
W0ZQ