Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 08:44:17 -0600
Good points, John! Comments below.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM, John Geiger <af5cc@fidmail.com> wrote:

> I have been watching this thread for a while, and thinking about my own
> opinion as to what is going one.  As others have stated, the amount of
> activity on VHF and UHF should be going up, as it is easier and cheaper
> today to get on 2m and 70cm than ever before with all of the HF/VHF/UHF
> rigs out there.  If one looks around much, they should be able to find one
> of those for $500 or so.
>
> One idea I have for the decline has to do with the internet, but not the
> way most people think of.  I think the problem is that many new hams turn
> to QRZ.COM and EHAM.NET to get their elmering advice.  I don't read too
> many of the QRZ forums, but do get on eham.net quite often so I know what
> is talked about there, and much of it is pretty bad information.  Here are
> some examples:
>
> 1. When a new ham asks about HF radios, they are always steered towards
> the Icom 718.  I still don't understand the cult following for that radio.
> I always try to steer them towards the Yaesu FT450 instead, as it is a
> better radio overall, has many more built in features that cost more (or
> are unavailable) on the 718, and most importantly, includes 6m.
>
> 2. New hams are told to avoid buying used equipment as you are "buying
> someone elses problems".  Funny how I have worked 321 DXCC entities, 6m WAS
> and WAC, VUCC on 6, 2, and satellites, and 40 states on 2m using someone
> elses problems.  Anyways, as pointed out earlier, there is only 1 2m
> monoband SSB rig being made right now, and I am sure most didn't even know
> that-the MFJ 9402.  So, given that new hams are steered away from used
> equipment, they wont be looking for an inexpensive 2m all mode rig to add a
> band to their collection.

I have a myriad of used radios, too. I worked my first 150 DXCC countries
with an old FT-101E. I worked another 100 or so with a used TS-440. Most of
the rest to Honor Roll I worked with a used TS-850. All have been fine
radios. I also have a used FT290RII which as done me well.

> 3. If a ham expresses interest in a HF/VHF/UHF rig, they are told instead
> to get an HF rig and a dualband FM radio so they don't have all their eggs
> in one basket-meaning if one breaks they have the other one to use.  It is
> never assumed that maybe they wanted the HF/VHF/UHF rig for 2m and 70cm
> SSB/CW.  However, it is a sad fact that probably 80% of hams with a
> HF/VHF/UHF rig have never used the 2m/70cm side on anything other than FM.
>
> 4. When questions come up about 6m they are usually told that it is dead
> all of the time, and you listen to static, and might get a several minute
> opening if you get lucky.  Same thing is said about the higher bands.
>
> Time was that when a new ham had questions about something like 6m they
> would ask at the local radio club, and would get directed to the local ham
> who did 6 meters, so they could go to his or her shack and see it in
> action. Now they get on the internet instead and get filled up with
> information for someone who is a legend in their own mind, but usually has
> no idea about what they are talking about.

Maybe more of us should spend some time on these forums answering these
questions from a VHF'er who operates on CW/SSB. I, for one, am going to do
that.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to tell newcomers to watch the packet
spots for 50 and 144 MHz. This will give them some idea what can be done.

> I think there is also the perception that you have to have large antennas
> and towers, and big amps to do anything on 2m and above.  I have worked 40
> states on 175 grids on 2m using 160 watts or less, and nothing larger than
> a Cushcraft 13B2 mounted on my roof, and that includes 1 EME QSO.  I try to
> mention my station limitations whenever sending out activity reports so
> people know what can be done with smaller stations.

I made a QSO some years ago with a station on the east coast on 6m with 250
milliwatts and a dipole strung across my second floor apartment ceiling.
When the band is open, it's open! Another point to emphasize to newcomers
is just how much it is open. Maybe not constantly during the spring and
summer, but enough to enjoy.

> We also need to find ways to rebrand outselves.  Calling ourselves "weak
> signal operators" doesn't do anything to attract new hams.  Who wants to
> spend money to get on something with weak signals.  Why is it when a ham
> runs 1.5KW to 8 stacked yagis on 2m they are weak signal, but when someone
> uses a 2 watt HT with a negative gain antenna it is not weak signal?  I
> don't even like the term "DC to Daylight rig" because first off it is
> inaccurate, and secondly, it seems to have a somewhat derrogotry quality to
> it, implying that the rig is a poor compromise on all bands (new hams are
> also told this on eham as well).  I have worked quite a few countries,
> grids, and states on a supposedly compromised rig.

I agree. I don't care all that much for the term, either, and don't think
it adequately describes us. Maybe just "VHF CW/SSB ops" (and some digi
modes thrown in).

> If you read the QST reviews, these HF/VHF/UHF rigs are always referred to
> as for mobile use only, or as a secondary/back up rig.  It is never
> mentioned that they could be the primary rig in a shack, even though they
> are in many ham's shack, including mine.  The on-line forums also believe
> that new hams are too confused or dense to use a menu driven rig-hence the
> call for them all to get Icom 718.

I've used an FT-736R. I don't own one, but from what I've seen it's a great
radio. But definitely not a mobile rig! At least not one you'd mount under
a dash.

> If you have been to your local radio club recently, I dont mean a
> speciality club, but the local one where new hams are likely to show up, I
> would bet that when discussions of 2m and 70cm come up, FM and APRS are
> mentioned over SSB by a ratio of 50 to 1 or more.  Most clubs seem to think
> that 2m and up should only be used for emergency communcations and parade
> chasing on 2m and APRS.

I've tried! I've tried to get the idea across that I've worked hundreds of
miles on all bands through 10 GHz. I don't know why people don't seem to
show much interest in actually getting on the air on VHF+. Maybe they think
it's too difficult. It is true that it requires some work, but that's what
Elmers are for - to help out. I've offered that help and usually no one
takes me up on it.

73, Zack W9SZ