Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: Jerry <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:31:08 -0700
I had several locals..telling me 'I was Loco' for monitoring 6M all the time I am in the shack (stand alone 6M stn) I convinced a group of them to try 6M after the local 2M FM Net on the clubs Repeater one evening ! Many comments were "Wow..I have never heard a signal on this Band before..and I have owned this Rig for many, many years" ! I gave them a couple /B freq. to put into memory.."Have a look every once in awhile..maybe you will hear the band is open" ! Then.. every once in awhile, one will tell me they 'Do Hear the /B off and On" ! So when I tell them that is MS pings they are hearing.. "What is That" is the Reply ! So.. many of us OT'rs are probably Guilty of 'Not Sharing Info' often enough..and many more are still the 'Plug and Play HF, FM Utility Op's that any interested young ones can't get a reasonable explanation of anything 'New' (well..to them !) Most of the 'Seasoned Vets' I will call them, locally..it's '2M is for FM, HF is the AM 40M Gang..then the 80M evening Traffic Net...and 10, 15, 20M for DX..(or chatting with your friend across the Country 'Every Day' about the same things ! ) I had a small group in the shack one time..showing them what WSJT can do for MS and EME. They were All impressed..but afterwards..they stated that 'None of them Owned a PC at home' to use it ! I am sure they still 'turn that Big Knob to change the channels on the TV as well' ! :o) You should have heard the 'Uproar on FM when I mentioned I have 300W on 2M' ! Going to be a 'Slow Growing Process'..not sure if there is any 'quick fixes' !
Jerry
VE6CPP