Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: Bob Burns W9BU <w9bu_lists@rlburns.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:40:45 -0500
On 2/15/2014 11:50 AM, Zack Widup wrote:
Maybe most of the hams that are active just want radios they can take
out of a box, plug in and use.

So, buy an Alinco DR-235T FM mobile radio and at least get on 222 MHz FM. There are also cheap, Chinese radios that will do 222 FM.

Yeah, FM is not as sexy as doing 222 CW or SSB. But, at least, it generates activity on the band and there's nothing stopping folks from making contest contacts on FM.

I haven't read all of the posts on this topic, but the harsh reality is that of the 700,000 plus licensed hams in the U.S., only a small number of them have any interest in VHF-UHF contesting. I think the ARRL may be swayed by their survey results that tell them most of their members are interested in HF, not VHF-UHF. So, they have to make a business decision--do they put time, money, and resources into promoting something their members don't care about or do they put that same time, money, and resources into things their members want?

That leaves it to some other group to promote VHF-UHF contesting. And, that would be a major undertaking.

Bob...