Re: [VHFcontesting] KU4AB 6m Loop vs. PAR Moxon

To: VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] KU4AB 6m Loop vs. PAR Moxon
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:49:54 +0000
Many rover stations are using the Par Moxon with good results. It is a 2
element Yagi with the element ends bent toward each other so it "looks like" a
loop. The Moxon has gain over a dipole where a single loop has gain LESS than a
dipole. The Moxon is probably about 6dB better than a single halo. Of course
you have to POINT the Moxon, but unless you're doing a lot of operation while
in motion, that's not usually a problem. In either case (halo or Moxon), try to
get the the antenna as far off the ground as possible to keep the vertical lobe
on the horizon. A 6M antenna at 8 feet has the main lobe pointing way up off
the horizon and very little ON the horizon, that's why it works so well on
E-skip, especially short skip! I run my 2 element beam at about 16 feet on the
rover.. It probably wants more!

bill, K1DY