Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing roverscontribution

To: "James Duffey" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing roverscontributions?
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 04:34:12 -0000
Hi James,
Your comments about rovers and big stations running EME or meteor skeds is one that I have been wrestling with for quite awhile. You are right that there is a downside to these digital sked attempts. I know that many stations would argue that EME digital QSOs make for a good score from certain parts of the country, but I can't help but think that EME QSOs at least can be detrimental to the common good for the reasons you mention. Those sked stations are effectively off the air for any terrestrial station to work for the duration. This affects both rovers and other home stations. At least with a meteor sked, the big home station is aimed at the horizon and could be heard by another rover or home station far away and could be called to attract their attention (assuming you can identify them) An EME signal goes up up and away with little chance of being heard by anyone at a distance. I know the Europeans do not allow EME in terrestrial contests, but maybe that has to do with distance scoring in some cases. I would want to have MS contacts count, but would rather that EME operation was not allowed. The problem with that choice is that many who use EME now would complain for good reason. Some areas of the country are so devoid of VHF signals that EME provides a reasonable way to enjoy yourself on a contest weekend. None of these situations have simple solutions! I saw the W7QQ/r score and was impressed at the bands deployed! Great job!

Dave K1WHS
We ran no MS or EME skeds this time out. We went to bed early after having cookies and milk at midnight! (We are all getting older too)

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Duffey" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>