Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing rovers contributio

To: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Are EME/MS digital QSOes reducing rovers contributions?
From: Mike H <mph@sportscliche.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:41:22 -0600
The issue KK6MC has raised in an important one and I'm glad we're having this discussion. I believe there are three possible causes, in order of decreasing importance:

i) *Lack of awareness.* In my opinion, the new rules are a boon to VHF contesting and I applaud the folks who lobbied the ARRL to make them happen. But as others have pointed out, this is all new and we are still learning how to adapt and evolve. It will take some time. We should also acknowledge that there are some who disdain the new rules and will only operate in the traditional fashion (or not at all). They are thus more likely to miss the rovers.

ii) *Contest score not a priority.* We all know that weak signal VHF operators are always on the hunt for new grids to add to their VUCC totals. The contests ramp up activity on the bands and present such opportunities. Many stations get on for this reason only, with little interest in points or submitting a contest log. If a new grid appears on Pingjockey, a fixed station may decide a meteor scatter or EME attempt is more important than working a rover in an already confirmed grid.

iii) *Sub-optimal time and resource management.* A station that elects to invest 30+ minutes in a 144 MHz meteor scatter run when there is a rover accessible in an unworked, nearby grid is not making the best use of time to maximize contest score. While a 1200+ mile QSO on 2m MS is very satisfying, it is worth exactly the same as a simplex contact with an FM mobile station in an adjacent, unworked grid. The latter, however, is much, much easier to accomplish. The same operating paradigm applies to the summer VHF contests. If a contester has spent the last 20 minutes running every available station in the Pacific Northwest on 50 MHz Es, it would be wise to start pointing the 6m beam in other directions.

I believe that most serious VHF contesters are aware of the importance of time management. The activity I observed on Pingjockey in the September 2015 contest tends to support this. The majority of postings and sked arrangements throughout the weekend were from stations west of the Mississippi River where participation is sparse and MS was pretty much the only game in town. During the day, the east coast stations had plenty of conventional, regional activity to keep them occupied. Only when that began to dry up in the evening did they start looking for skeds on Pingjockey. If Duffey's observation is indeed representative of the situation here in the west, then we have some catching up to do.

Mike WB2FKO
DM65 New Mexico