Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital and VHF contests

To: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>, vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital and VHF contests
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 11:39:55 -0400
Rick,

Those are all great ideas and I would favor any and all of them.
Digital bringing new activity is great and I am all for that even if
I don't enjoy digital operation myself. But it also drives activity
away as we are seeing in the post-contest comments. Many of the big
VHF contesters have already left and it seems more are planning to
because for whatever reason they are not finding digital to their
benefit. I think we need to do anything and everything we can to
encourage activity on all modes and keep ***BOTH*** groups of
operators! Furthermore, promoting activity on higher bands should be
a priority. We need to use our bands or risk losing them. Many are
saying that the current situation and use of FT8 on 6 and 2 is doing
the opposite by decreasing QSOs on higher bands.

73,
Paul N1BUG