[WriteLog] sound card afsk "tail"

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] sound card afsk "tail"
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:45:12 +0000

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:32:57 -0000 "W. Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
writes:

> It is my opinion--contrary to that of many subscribers to the
> writelog
> reflector--that AFSK works just as well as FSK. It does have the
> extra problem that you have to get the levels set correctly to the
> transmitter intput.
>
> The "tail" can be controlled using two INI file entries:
>
> [RTTYRITE]
> PTT_BEGIN_HOLD=0
> PTT_END_HOLD=0
>
> They default to 250 msec and 333 msec, respectively.
>
> Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. I tried it, and it is much, much better!
Now there is no tail at the beginning, and only a very short
one at the end. Another problem solved.

AFSK certainly saves me two valuable COM ports. Using low
tones, the audio fits almost perfectly into the bandpass of
the TS-850's two 500 Hz filters in LSB mode. I use the pink
noise amplitude in the Writelog RTTY Reciver window to make
small changes to the 850's high or low cut controls to make
the noise symmetrical about the passband center.

73

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com