AW: [WriteLog] Erratic CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: AW: [WriteLog] Erratic CW
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:54:24 -0400

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason folks want to use the
> LPT port for CW is that there is a conflict if you want to use RTTY FSK
> and CW on the same com port.  I don't think it can be done, at least not
> with MMTTY.  This may not be true for all combinations of
> mode/tnc/port/FSK/AFSK, but it was in my case.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe one could use a single port for
both CW and FSK with MMTTY.  FSK = TXD, CW = DTR, PTT = RTS.  Yes, MMTTY
would have PTT on the "CW" line but most rigs will ignore it in FSK
mode.  In any case, I don't see a need to do it that way as rig control
(TxD & RxD), CW (DTR) and all mode PTT (RTS) can be done from a one COM
port ... FSK (TxD) and RTTY PTT (RTS) can be done from another COM port if
necessary.

The only caveat is to check your add-on serial ports.  Some boards do
not seem to have the hardware to properly support directly manipulating
the control lines (CW) and/or five-bit codes (RTTY).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK