[WriteLog] fast re-start of WriteLog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] fast re-start of WriteLog
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:16:16 -0500
> I'm hesitant to use this software as-is in a serious multi-op situation
given this problem.

I expect several will chime in to defend WL in a networked environment.  My
experience is limited to 2 CQWWRTTY contests with 2 networked computers.
Computer A is recent with WIN2000, but computer B is my old Gateway 166 MHz
with 48K RAM and WIN98.  The first time we did this, we lost the networking
and/or otherwise had to restart several times - possibly because someone
also did "something else" too much like browsing, emailing etc.  This past
year, I don't think we lost the network once.  Thus I'm not only defending
WriteLog, but also pointing out it works pretty good even with older/limited
computers.

As far as restarting all the "stuff", this just takes practice.  I suppose
making a list of what to do would be good if you have guestops that aren't
familiar with what to do.  But once you get used to it, you should be able
to restart WL, DX Telnet, and get the networking going again in less than a
minute or 2.  Using Macro Express for some of the steps might be useful for
guestops too.

I'm not sure WL needs to improve the way this is handled.  It's very good at
recovering QSOs and updating the logs etc.  73
Gobble!  Gobble!