[WriteLog] fast re-start of WriteLog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] fast re-start of WriteLog
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:02:03 -0500
Thanks for taking the time for your detailed response John.  I do have a couple
of questions / comments below:

> I expect several will chime in to defend WL in a Networked environment.

That's understandable, and expected.  However, if I'm going to set up a network
of say, 8 to 12 networked computers at a serious DXpedition multi-op, I have to
anticipate any and all problems in advance, and be prepared to handle them 24x7
during the contest.  This explanation as background for my hesitancy.

> As far as restarting all the "stuff", this just takes practice.  I suppose
> making a list of what to do would be good if you have guestops that aren't
> familiar with what to do.

I would agree, if the task was a less demanding environment, but I am certain
that a chorus of "Why aren't we using old, reliable CT instead of this flashy
windows thing" would resound from the multi-multi shack in the middle of
Antigua, perhaps with steel drum accompaniment.

;-)

>But once you get used to it, you should be able to restart WL, DX Telnet, and
>get the networking going again in less than a minute or 2.

At literally from 500 to 1000 or more qsos per hour, this delay can be a major
problem.

Also, why do you need to use DX Telnet in addition to the built-in telnet
access capability?  I think the built-in TCP/IP cluster access works perfectly,
and I love, love, love, the way the bandmap looks and works.  Smooth, smooth,
smooth.

The user interface is excellent.  However, I would like to see the bandmap
locked to the right side of the logging screen rather than a seperate window.

> I'm not sure WL needs to improve the way this is handled.  It's very good at
> recovering QSOs and updating the logs etc.

These features are some of those attracting me to consider making the change.

> Gobble!  Gobble!

Agreed!  Happy Thanksgiving to our U.S. friends.