Re: [WriteLog] Rttyrite on extended desktop

To: Gary AL9A <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rttyrite on extended desktop
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 20:08:33 -0400
FB Gary

I know the feeling. Just a couple days ago I found a copy of CT by K1EA on
a 5.25in floppy disc from when I was running CT on an IBM clone with an
Intel 8086 CPU, monochrome monitor, either 128k or 256k RAM, 2 floppies, no
hard-drive and DOS 6.22 i think!!!. Today for the same logging function I'm
using so much more computer power its scary!!!

I've still been building my machines for the shack but maybe for my next
one I'll just grab a decent Dell and be happy. I have used laptops in the
shack but I gave them up a long time ago except sometimes I'd use them to
give me a 5 band view of the spots (in assisted contest entries). And
backup because the main computer was always likely to give problems during
a contest.

Over the past couple years I've tried to run the most stable Windows
environment with maximum reasonable RAM and tons of harddrive space - I'm
convinced there is a conspiracy between the software and the hardware guys
to keep us busy doing upgrades. I also used an older dual head VGA card up
until maybe a year ago and then it too started becoming unreliable and in
total frustration i decided to buy one of the "gaming" VGA cards - which
I'd thought was overkill for writelog using dual monitors. I'm now
convinced its more of a windows thing - run the best hardware, with the
MOST RAM in the coolest tower with a the biggest Power Supply you can
find/afford. I also had big cooling issues that took me a loooong time to
figure out. I probably blamed windows, writelog, the video card - well I
think everything was just getting too hot.

I'll probably be on during the SP RTTY but currently have only limited
antennas so hopefully we'll get a chance to print each other.

Regards and best 73's

Dean - 8P6SH

--
*Dean St.Hill*