[Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use and backup rig to FT1

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use and backup rig to FT1000!
From: lane@glerl.noaa.gov (John Lane)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:30:21 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BDC9C1.A7FBA580

See the attached pointer for information on the FT-847.  I have previously
owned an FT-920 and feel it's quite a good radio.  IMO the 920's HF
performance is  better than the 847's particularly as regards signal
handling in contest conditions.  Performance on six was slightly better with
the 920.  On VHF/UHF the performance of the 847 on a par or better than the
dedicated V/UHF boxes that I have used so far but still short of a good
transverter.  I would note that noise floor is much improved and sensitivity
somewhat improved over FT-7X6, IC-X75, IC-X71 and IC-X51 radios.  W8KX

Fellows I am looking for a rig that I can use as a backup and to play around
with 6 meters. I have not heard good things about the FT920 and have not
seen allot of feedback on the FT847 other than the review QST did and it was
not impressive. I realize these radios do not cost what the FT1000 or an MP
would cost but I would like to hear from some actual users to get your
impressions good or bad. I really like that the FT847 has all bands
especially UHF and VHF since I could use it to replace my FM dual band radio
in the shack and monitor my two favorite UHF and VHF repeaters when my wife
is out in the car and keep in touch with her. I have been told though that
you can't monitor those two bands at the same time which I find hard to
believe. I don't mean transmit on one and still be able to hear the other
although that would be nice since I can do that with my Kenwood TMV7A. I
just want to be able to listen to say 146.985 and 442.500 so if my wife
calls me on either frequency I could hear her. Also how are the receivers on
these rigs for the different bands. I also have believed when you start
stuffing allot of things in one little box something has to give and it
usually is either quality or the receive suffers. Again any or all comments
would be appreciated. 73 and thanks again, Steve

Steve Jones
106 Hensley Court
Goodview, Va. 24095
540-890-1453
KS4HK

Have a good day, if you don't someone else will!!!

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BDC9C1.A7FBA580
        filename="The FT-847 Home Page.url"

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.en.com/users/rayd/ft-847/index.html