[Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use and backuprig to FT10

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use and backuprig to FT1000!
From: davidho@one.net (David Ho (de AF4BH))
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:18:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Steve Jones wrote:

> Fellows I am looking for a rig that I can use as a backup and to play
> around with 6 meters. I have not heard good things about the FT920 and
> have not seen allot of feedback on the FT847 other than the review QST

Steve,

I am not sure what you have heard about the FT920, but I am sure that I
don't have many bad thing to say about it.

Only one thing that bugs me to no end is it's electronic keyer.  It
doesn't support Curtis Mode A keying and that's why I have a MFJ keyer,
which gives much more features than the built-in keyer.  Otherwise, it's a
darn good radio in its class.  Almost all shacks need some sort of
outboard add-on's to make complete anyway.

There are always something wrong, if you want to pick on a radio.  I know
that the FT-847 doesn't have VOX, nor it's computer programming interface
is good by any means.  But one rig covers all does appeal to my small
shack in the basement.

Just my 2 cents worth.

de David Ho, AF4BH
davidho@one.net