[Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use andbackup rig to FT10

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Feedback on FT920 or FT847 for 6 meter use andbackup rig to FT1000!
From: k0xq@amsat.org (Sean Warner K0XQ)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:03:08 +0000
My $0.02 on this......

I have a 920, which I used to great effect until I recently bought a 1000D
for my main rig. I have no plans to sell the 920, as I feel it was & is a
very effective & easy to use radio--I plan on using it as my backup and/or
second contest radio. I also don't know how many bad things you have heard
about the 920, but I personally have found very little to complain about,
considering the price class the 920 is in.

A couple of observations...........

1. The 920 really does suffer on SSB with the stock Yaesu filter, which is
listed at 2.4 KHz, but seems much wider. The recent 2.1 INRAD offering is a
much better choice & works great.

2. Even though the auto notch is nice & works well, I really do think it
would have been nice to have manual notch control as well. This is probably
just my personal bugaboo; I doubt if a lot of other 920 owners really
viewed this as a deficiency, considering how well the auto notch works.

That's it for my gripe list! The DSP works nicely--it's no Timewave 599zx
or 59-Y, but it does the job. I thought the 920 had a lot of nice add ons
(digital voice keyer, contest CW keyer, etc) that a lot of radios in it's
price class did not offer, & I still think it is a highly functional radio.
I have never had a day of problems with mine.

I don't know much about the 847, although the day that I tried it at Radio
City here in Minneapolis, I thought the receiver was far less sensitive
than that of the 920. Neither of them, of course are in the class of the
1000D, but then again, what else is? :-)

73 de K0XQ

Sean Warner