RFI

Re: [RFI] Defibrillator and RF Exposure Query

To: rfi@contesting.com, n6ki@juno.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Defibrillator and RF Exposure Query
From: David Garnier <dgarnier@wi.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 21:26:58 -0500
Dennis,

I work for a major medical electronics manufacturer in the Midwest.
We build MRI, CT, PET, Ultrasound, Conventional X-Ray and Patient
Monitoring Electronics.

I conduct EMC test and compliance for some of this equipment.
(My company got out of that pacemaker business many years ago.)
I will give you _my take on this problem._

1) Even if you knew the manufacture of the medical electronics device
that was going to be implanted into your chest - I strongly doubt that
you could get anybody at the company to speak on the record to you.

_The real question you want to ask is what are their internal RF
susceptibility test levels._  This is an industry that sees many legal
actions
taken against itself.  Good luck on getting a serious answer.

2) I suspect 10 V/m is the test standard since it's a variation of patient
life support,_ but I don't know_.  (I will look up those particular
standards
tomorrow because you got me curious.)  From my experience, I see
most susceptibility problems occur when AM modulation is turned on
and off. (In my opinion running high power CW or SSB would be a
bad thing.)

3) _This is a serious question_. (I am surprised that the EME folks haven't
had an accident yet.)  I am _not hopeful_ that you will receive a
satisfactory
answer from the implantable medical device manufacturer

4) I certainly hope there will be a "support person" present when your
friend keys his rig for the first time. In my opinion, don't even consider
running a Kilowatt, _it may exactly do that_.

Contact me off list if you would like to discuss this further.

Regards & 73's

Dave Garnier - wb9own