RFI

Re: [RFI] Defibrillator and RF Exposure Query

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Defibrillator and RF Exposure Query
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:52:49 -0500
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:38 PM

> On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:05:11 -0500, Jim P wrote:
>
> >Maybe I'm missing something in regards to the caveat: "and
> operate on the lower HF bands".
>
> The receiving antenna (within the subject wired with the
> electronic device) needs to be a significant fraction of a
> wavelength to receive significant voltage from the transmitting
> antenna. So, all things being equal (distance, power, etc.) lower

I think you're overlooking something here Jim, vis-a-vis near-field
versus far-field effects (1) as presented by an excited antenna.

The effects which I am addressing are the strong non-radiated
'fields' an antenna exhibits as opposd to the radiated 'wave' it
creates and one experiences at a distance from said transmitting
antenna; 'fields and wave's: there is a difference (3).

Take and consider for a moment the high voltage E-field as well
as the strong H-field in the proximity of an excited dipole (2) -
THESE are the effects are seen close in to a transmitting antenna
and the effect one experiences with an 80 M dipole strung between
two trees over a house.

Currents LARGER than those seen due to the simple reception of
a signal from a distance can be made to to flow in a device in
the near-field *owing to* displacement currents created by the
effects of capacitive coupling from the high RF voltages present
in the near field ... no?

The 'Simple Proof':  Ever see the demonstration where a nominal
3.5 Watt Class D 27 MHz radio 'fires' an NE-2 Neon lamp with
a  65 V ionization voltage (between electrodes) when held near
the end of a 9' whip while said rig transmits?

Again, the effects you seem to keep alluding to are the *far-field*
effects, i.e. the effects as seen along the lines of a wavelength
and more (1).

SO, with all this in mind, let us again consider the wavelength of
an 80 Meter signal (260') and how far away the aforementioned
E and H 'fields' exist knowing the wavelength of said 80 M signal
(around 260'), and furthermore, that these fields will be seen
and experienced by equipment and to a lesser degree by per-
sonnel present in said antenna's 'near field'.

Jim P  //  WB5WPA  //