RFI

Re: [RFI] can a tower re-radiate RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] can a tower re-radiate RFI?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 22:31:57 -0800
On Thu,1/21/2016 3:17 PM, WW3S wrote:
And can it be prevented? Trying to track down a loud “buzz” on 160/80

Fundamental physics -- ANY conductor that carries an RF current WILL radiate it. And any conductor that sees an radio wave will receive it -- that is, the radio wave produces current. This is simple antenna action, and the conductor is antenna. Antennas re-radiate signals all the time. So do the "ground" wires that come down wooden poles that support telephone and power lines. I regularly use a VHF/UHF talkie with a wideband RX to poke around for RFI. Below 10 MHz, it uses a loopstick antenna in it's base. One of the places I look for noise is on those "ground" wires. On a good pole, I hear radio stations instead of noise. One day poking around in my neighborhood, I heard N7DD pounding in on that "ground wire."

In the words of the late Neil Muncy, ex-W3WJE who identified the Pin One Problem in 1994, "you say 'ground wire, or speaker wire or mic cable,' but Mother Nature says ANTENNA!"

As to your problem -- I strongly urge you to get serious about grounding and BONDING in your station. Study http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf and carefully do what it says. I think it's quite likely that inadequate (or even non-existent) BONDING is the root cause of your problems.

73, Jim K9YC