RFI

Re: [RFI] [External] Re: Wireless Power Transfer with electric vehicles

To: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [External] Re: Wireless Power Transfer with electric vehicles
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:51:37 -0700
Before C-19 I was in Germany - wall to wall solar panels. Electricity residential rate 6/2020 $0.387 per KWH and going up. Back a bit, they had 3 days, no wind and clouds. Fortunately the French nukes helped as did other's they bought from.

With more load percent of wind/solar renewables, the stability of the net decreases, and every KWH not produced as above needs hydro, carbon or nuke backup. So it's a losing game that gets worse the more the renewables provide. See the engineering studies of this phenomena in Germany.

OTOH, I had 15KW of solar (all Sunpower USA) that I installed in CA. A terrific deal considering the CA and Fed rebates. Plus, it knocked the penalty peak rate ($.35/KWH) off my bill and ran another meter backward net for the year. (PG&E paid me $0.03/KWH for selling them power - ha ha!!). ROI was above 25%. So politics can make it a financially good deal as well as some nice "I'm green" points.

Assuming the infrastructure will somehow get built has no basis in reality considering NIMBY, eco-warriers, and general government incompetence. Pretty much proven the last 20 years. Which President promised "shovel ready"?

To pile on with one more gotcha. Two EV cars, with batteries @ 250KWH to recharge every night in your home? Do the math per house and per neighborhood. Get a price to upgrade your entrance service.

Grant KZ1W