Re: Topband: accidents - was Outing The Scofflaws...

To: garyk9gs@wi.rr.com
Subject: Re: Topband: accidents - was Outing The Scofflaws...
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:52:12 -0500
On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 23:01 -0600, Gary K9GS wrote:
> Since I sort of started this with my post last night...
>
> I don't think that public humiliation is going to fix this problem. As
> others have pointed out, there is too much of a potential for abuse with
> people deliberately signing others callsigns, etc.  I think the best is
> peer pressure from locals who know who the culprit is.  I'd be willing
> to speculate that in most cases the operator causing the deliberate
> interference is known to local hams.  If it is someone you know.....say
> something privately and constructively.
>
> Everyone makes an occasional error.  Heck, I've inadvertently forgot to
> hit the split button on my K3 after turning on the sub receiver. That's
> really easy to do.  In fact, one of the things about the K3 that I think
> can cause problems if you're not careful is when you're set for split,
> say on 160M and QSY to another band.  When you go back to 160M the K3
> remembers the frequency and the split but the split is turned OFF.
>
> Always look before you transmit.....

Hi,

I don't have to worry about whether my rig can remember a split as I'm
running antique junque. My main transceiver is a set of Kenwood Twins.
In transceiver mode I know to look at the RIT switch! AND the
transmitter bandswitch. Don't ask how I learned this. In some
combinations the TX will happily operate on a different band!

I also use separate transmitters/receivers and I've come to prefer that
style of operation (the twins can do it, too). I have my radios set up
to monitor the TX instead of using a sidetone. When I switch to transmit
mode I'll know with one tap of the key if I forgot to net the TX.
Again..don't ask how I know about that! (evil grin).

73,

Bill  KU8H