Re: Topband: tool for install radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: tool for install radials
From: john <w8wej@citynet.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:57:44 +0000
thanks John, this is also very helpful    73 john

On 12/10/2014 03:38, John K9UWA wrote:
I did nearly the same as Mike by just laying the radials out on top of the
grass.
It went like this. Last Grass cutting in the fall I cut the grass as short as
the
mower would go.
I put  5 or 6 rolls of wire on a 10foot long piece of  steel  conduit. Then the
wife on one end and me on the other end walked to the end of our property.
I cut off the 6 wires. Flipped them apart a bit and back to the tower for the
next batch of 5 or 6 at a time. In about 2 hours the wife and I put out 100
radials. All were small diameter teflon insulated wire. The next day I tied all
of them to the tower and ground rods near the tower.

The following spring we cut the grass TALL about 4 inches for about 1/2 the
summer and then it was back to cut normal as you couldn't even see the
wires.

That method will not work with Florida St Augustine Grass but works fine we
normal grass.

For guys who don't want to try it that way consider renting this gadget
designed to bury cable TV lines coax and other wires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGa-3HY38W4

John k9uwa

Jorge,
The following year I just laid the wire on the ground (tightly), pinned it
down here and there with small homemade staples and in a couple months, the
grass ate them up and they were virtually gone.  I did lose a few of the "on the
ground" radials to the nasty mower blade, but rolling out a spool of wire using
a home made handle was pretty darn quick. I could probably do 20 or more an hour
compare to 5 or 6 an hour using the mower.

I will not cut slots again.

Mike VE9AA
John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations