Re: Topband: tool for install radials

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, "john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com" <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: tool for install radials
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:09:31 +0000
Try calling one of the cable TV contractors, many of them are small (as in VERY
small) companies with only a few employees. They might help you out for a
little money or even just some beer.

For the larger vibratory plows, the lawn sprinkler companies are usually
cheaper to use than are the electrical guys. They use the same machine. I've
had sprinkler companies install pipe to use as conduit before when I only need
shallow depth.

For bigger runs, or deeper runs (several feet or more), the industry uses
"directional drilling" (sometimes AKA "directional boring"). It's way overkill
to use for radials (Although my feedlines were installed this way), but many of
those companies also have the smaller rigs too.

Maybe not what you were looking for in terms of just renting the equipment, but
I thought this info might help.

To answer some other posters: My own radials are all on-ground about half in
the woods and half in the grass. After a year or so the copper turns dark brown
and becomes completely invisible under the oak leaves in the woods and the
grass in the yard. I have a ring under the antenna made of 1/2" copper pipe,
then I run 18 awg solid bare copper radials out from there. I hang a 5,000 foot
reel with a piece of pipe and a ladder (or similar) in the center of the ring
then I just walk the radials out to wherever they need to go. I anchor the far
end with a small stick pushed into the ground with the wire looped around it.
This keeps a bit of tension on the radial, but will break before the wire does.
I haven't used stables.

  -Bill