Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?

To: "k3lr@k3lr.com" <k3lr@k3lr.com>, "dino@kx6d.com" <dino@kx6d.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?
From: "Jon Zaimes, AA1K via Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:27:00 +0000 (UTC)
My version of Tim's array was installed in 1998, with 120 on-ground radials
under each element. A few years later I added an extra director toward Europe
for an additional 0.9 db gain in that direction.
It brought me up to 329 countries on 160, including JT, HS, XZ, VU, A5, BA.
After a few years I was looking for something more and came up with a
broadside/endfire array that offers about 8.5 db gain over a single vertical.
WW2Y/K2WI first used a version of this in New Jersey in the 1980s, with
Inverted L elements hung from trees. VY2ZM has one using full-size towers.
My version has a footprint of 325 feet by 146 feet, oriented to favor Europe.
One of the T-shaped wire elements (no. 12 THHN, 73.5 feet vertical, 58 feet
horizontal) is borrowed from the K3LR array, switched with relays. The other
three are hung from towers and trees. Each element has 120 on-ground radials,
about 130 feet long. A couple of bs/ef arrays are described in ON4UN's book.
If you add four more elements this becomes the 8-circle array, switchable in 8
directions (may not fit in 5 acres). N5IA (SK) built one of these in Arizona,
still in use by the NA7TB club station.
K9DX had a 9-circle array in Illinois for many years, since dismantled. More
complex but very effective.
73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K Tower climber for hire http://www.aa1k.us/ Cell:
302-632-2353email: jz73@verizon.net or aa1k@arrl.net