Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?

To: w5zn@w5zn.org
Subject: Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:55:41 -0500
Different people have differing views on the definition of a serious antenna.

An 8 circle with 8 directions of BSEF verticals would definitely be serious.

If you wanted one tower and didn’t want to do the work to install a minimum of
100 radials or more I would consider one tall tower with elevated radials.  The
best antenna I ever had in Arkansas was 192 feet of 25G which I put up in 1980.
 This tower was shunt fed with the feed point at 60 feet and had 9 radials (3
per leg) taking up several acres  with the ends pretty high.

Nobody had a four square back then so competition was not as great, but it was
a great performer.  I think it was better than most serious antennas at the
time which would be quarter wave verticals with extensive, on ground, radial
systems.

That antenna for transmit and a half dozen thousand foot Beverages would be a
serious 160m setup even today.

73… Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPhone