Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?

To: Dino Darling <dino@kx6d.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?
From: w5zn@w5zn.org
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:33:19 -0600
Hi Dino,

I started with a single 1/4 wave vertical as Tree notes and it worked extremely well for years, however after a period of time I had a desire to upgrade the single vertical to a system that offered some gain on TX. I came across the array that Tim, K3LR, mentioned in "Low Band DX'ing" that describes his systems and discovered I could build this array around the existing 1/4 wave vertical and achieve 4-square performance in a smaller footprint area. I have now used the array for four years and the performance has been outstanding. After reading the info regarding this array in Low Band DX'ing I documented some additional details of my experience that were presented at the Dayton Antenna Forum and also published in the National Contest Journal. Copies of those documents can be found here:

https://www.kkn.net/dayton2018/2018_Dayton_Antenna_Forum-160_meter_TX_Array.pdf

https://ncjweb.com/features/sepoct18feat.pdf

As Tree notes, the very first step is to determine exactly what your objective is. The five element parasitic array has met my objectives for both contest and DX activities.

73 Joel W5ZN