Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?
From: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:27:27 -0400 (EDT)
I like 4-squares Dino. I have them on 15, 20, 40, 80 and a small 2-el on 160...

I'm still looking for an ACB-10 (10 meters) (or equivalent) to complete the whole set.

If it were me, I'd build whatever it is VY2ZM is using. (vy2zm.com) or 2nd choice, K3LR

GL

Mike VE9AA
If you may and you are willing to indulge me; if you were about to buy 5-acres with no neighbors or restrictions and wanted to erect a serious 160M antenna
system, what would you build and why? We can pass on the Radio Arcala
discussion; nobody's that cool.
A loaded 4-square? 1/4 wave stick (or longer)? Phased dipoles? (fill in the
blank)?
I've seen a 200' tower with three phased dipoles tilted on end. The end of one side of the dipole was anchored and insulated at the top of the tower and came down like guy cables. About half way down was the feedpoint, were an isolated
anchor cable continued down the same path to ground (like a guy cable).
However, the second half of the dipole was pulled back to the base of the
tower, from the center feedpoint insulator. It looked like an arrowboard
chevron or a regular dipole that was turned 90 degrees on its side. The coax was horizontal back to the tower. There were three of these spaced 120 degrees apart and fed with a phasing network to steer it. I understand it works great.
So what would you build?
Dino - KX6D