Re: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!

To: "'Joe'" <nss@mwt.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!
From: John Kaufmann via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 14:46:29 -0500
Here is additional information on the 9-circle low-band receiving array.  It
was originally designed for operation on both 160 and 80 meters.

It was based on a couple articles I wrote for NCJ in the September/October
and November/December issues in 2011.  The design was turned into a set of
electronics kits that were produced and sold by DX Engineering in
collaboration with the Yankee Clipper Contest Club (YCCC) and myself.
There were a few changes made in the DX Engineering implementation relative
to the NCJ design, the most significant being a reduction in the circle
diameter from 140 to 120 feet.  This reduction had negligible effect on 160m
but it improved the 80m performance and also allowed the array to produce
"usable" performance on 40m.

The DX Engineering kits eventually sold out and were discontinued after
that.  However, there are still a few direction switch box kits left over
that you can order from DX Engineering:
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-yccc-switch.  You can also download
a copy of the system user's manual from DX Engineering:
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-yccc-switch.
pdf.   The manual has a lot of technical information about the system,
including circuit diagrams and beam pattern calculations, as well as
assembly instructions for the DX Engineering kits.

More recently, PI4CC has produced 9-circle PCB's that you learn about here:
https://www.pi4cc.nl/tech-info/rx-array/.  VE6WZ also created his own
version of the PCB's and he will share the info with you, or he may chime in
here.  You can learn more about the VE6WZ system on his qrz.com page.

Disclaimer:  I have no commercial interest in or affiliation with any of the
sources of electronics mentioned above.

73, John W1FV