Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!
From: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 14:34:27 -0500
Thanks to Steve's, VE6WZ, excellent YouTube videos, I decided to tackle a
better RX antenna. I've been using a 2 element array phased by an NCC-2
which is better than what I've had in the past (BOG, K9AY) but I wanted
better.

After evaluating my space available and finding it too small I asked my
neighbor for seasonal use of their adjoining lot and they graciously
agreed! My N, NW and W elements are on their property.

Steve's videos include KiCad files for the combiner and preamps and he was
very helpful by email with any of my questions.

I just completed the array last night and got it on the air and I was
astonished by how well it worked.

Of course it isn't going to create signals out of thin air but it is much
quieter due to better RDF and the front to back is very impressive. Strong
signals on the waterfall just disappear when the antenna is reversed!

I'm very happy to get such an improved antenna for 80 and 160 in a 120ft
diameter circle!

As a bonus I use it with PSTRotator and a USB controlled relay box so no
manual switch box is required on my desk. Just a mouse click selects the
desired direction or it can track my logger automatically.

FYI, most of the cost is in the aluminum, the combiner and preamps were
pretty cheap to build.

Many thanks to VE6WZ!!

73

jim ab3cv