Re: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!

To: john kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 10:08:50 -0700
Indeed it is John, W1FV who is the father of the 9 circle array and published
his good work in NCJ.
Together with the YCCC they produced kits which were marketed by DXeng.
Here is my history with the array:

6 years ago I purchased one of these DXeng kits and was impressed with the
results.

3 years ago, I redesigned John's antenna amplifier to include an antenna bypass
relay.
My new board geometry to use a 180 deg F connector and screw terminals for the
ant and ground to simplify construction.
I published a YouTube video on the new design, and in the video notes I provide
links to the PCB Gerber files, and all of John’s original documentation.
https://youtu.be/dl-crM5Kb6A <https://youtu.be/dl-crM5Kb6A>

2 years ago, I redesigned the combiner board and integrated a 2N5109 amplifier
on the PCB.
Gerbers, BOM, and documentation included in the notes of the video:
https://youtu.be/utyJt_Clp3M <https://youtu.be/utyJt_Clp3M>

1 year ago, I redesigned the combiner board again using small MuRata chokes at
each antenna input to eliminate the need for the outboard feedline chokes.
This is the board I am using now.
Gerbers, BOM, and documentation included in the notes of the video:
https://youtu.be/lVW1CmrzP7c <https://youtu.be/lVW1CmrzP7c>

I do not sell boards. I have no interest in any commercial endeavour.  My
desire is to share my projects if others want to build them.
If you do build one of these, please read all the documentation included with
each video.
It is very easy to upload the Gerber files to a PCB vendor and get boards made.
The PI4CC group asked if they could sell my boards to those that don't want to
get their own made and I agreed
I have no involvement with them.

For these arrays, and other RX antennas that provide DC power via the coax
feedline (bias-T) I strongly recommend that the PCBs be thoroughly cleaned of
flux and a conformal coating be applied.
My experience is that residual solder flux can attract debris and moisture and
lead to noise issues.  This is especially true at the F-connectors that have
12v DC on the centre conductor.
Use a good flux remover and tooth brush followed by a water rinse and apply an
acrylic conformal coating.
In this (unrelated) video at 8:00 is show how I clean my boards:
https://youtu.be/_HvBf_tnjEg <https://youtu.be/_HvBf_tnjEg>

Why youtube videos? Why not write a paper?
I am aware there are those don’t like YouTube videos.
In my prior life as a scientist in the Oil and Gas exploration business for 35
years all I did was write papers and build powerpoint presentations.
I don’t want to do that anymore, but making a video is easy and fun to do. I
share videos about building radio stuff like guys make videos about making
furniture.
more videos here: https://www.youtube.com/ve6wz <https://www.youtube.com/ve6wz>

73, de steve ve6wz