Re: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: My new 9 Circle works great!
From: w5zn@w5zn.org
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 02:48:15 -0700
The YCCC-9 design by John, W1FV is an outstanding performer. I have had one installed at W5ZN for several years now and have documented direct comparisons with my HiZ-8 160 and BSEF-8 160 arrays plus my four 580 ft Beverages. While the HiZ-8 (200 ft diameter on 160) is the clear top performer with the BSEF-160 (350 ft diameter) a close second, the performance of the YCCC-9 is third only to those two and is equivalent or better than my Beverages. The amazing thing with the YCCC-9 is its small footprint, only 120 ft in diameter. As John has noted, the 120 ft diameter spacing has only a minor effect on 160 but improves 80 meters. It is an amazing performer on 80 meters and is equal in performance to my BSEF-8 80 meter array which is 180 ft diameter (I do not have an 80 meter HiZ-8). For the small footprint plus the ability to use it on 3 bands it is impressive.

Prior to this year I ran the original combiner board and amplifiers. Over the summer I had boards fabricated from Steve, VE6WZ's excellent details and assembled a combiner with the Murata chokes on the board in order to eliminate the external chokes. I see no difference in performance. I also assembled new amplifiers based on Steve's layout.

So, if you do not have room for the top performing HiZ-8 or the BSEF-8 and 580 ft Beverage but can accommodate a 120 ft diameter circle this IS your RX antenna for 360 degree coverage! If you can only spare 120 ft in one direction, say to Europe, then utilizing only three verticals will fix you up.

Thanks to John, W1FV, for his design and development of this array and for Steve, VE6WZ for providing additional info and options. It is also good to see the PI4CC folks pick this up and provide components as well.

73 Joel W5ZN