[TowerTalk] Rohn 55, vs 65

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55, vs 65
From: wes@attawayinterests.com (Wes Attaway)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 21:55:29 -0500
Pat .... I have 80' of Rohn 55, with a 3el Telrex 40M at 85' and a 5el
Telrex 20M at 95'.  The thing is guyed in three places.  A number of years
ago, when I owned a few radio stations, I, hmmmm, a station bought the tower
and I had a professional crew come in and put it up and put the beams on it.
It is so strong that the tower crew argued with me about even guying it ....
they had it up and the beams on it with no guying.  When they found that I
insisted on 3 sets of guys they were incredulous.  They pleaded with me to
put only one set of guys on, then maybe two .... but three?  They went away
muttering.

Rohn 55 is really strong.  Put all your antennas on it, guy it properly, and
worry more about DX than the tower.  One thing I have noticed is that there
is a tremendous amount of torque (twisting force) on the tower when a brisk
wind is blowing against that array.  As strong as it is, I can feel the 55
twisting a bit when I am working up near the top.  With your projected large
arrays and a taller tower, I would suggest that you look at a set of torque
arms as part of your guying system.

Wes - N5WA