[TowerTalk] Rohn 55, vs 65

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55, vs 65
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:12:13 -0600 (MDT)
Just received messages from Scott, K8DX and George, K3GP that the
Rohn 55s were stock Rohn hardware throughout and the formed
turnbuckle was only on the boom guy of a Yagi.

It would have been a real shame to have lost such a nice installation
due to improper guying--but since the correct hardware WAS used
then it is just mother nature's fault and at some point a system just
can't withstand truly big trees falling into it.

Scott mentioned (as I had suspected) that he has just been too busy
with the insurance company and clearing the mess to even read his
home email--explaining the lack of an answer.

Just hope Scott gets it all back up--bigger and better.

So the point of my email was to use the proper hardware--especially
FORGED turnbuckles with a rating greater than that of the guy wire.
And as a note:  Turnbuckles should not be used as tensioning
elements.  Take up the tension with a come-along (hand winch) and then
adjust the turnbuckles to take up the slack--then remove the come-along.
Otherwise you run the risk of galling the zinc and/or inviting rust.

73  John  W0UN