[TowerTalk] re: Is the FCC sharp?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: Is the FCC sharp?
From: rwing@southwind.net (Randy Wing)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:28:08 -0600
I have watched this thread with some interest.  I too live in the country
where you think it would be easy to erect a tower.

I bought three acres - the same month that I got my Technician plus
license - with no idea that I would be erecting a tower in the years to
come.  I live in a development with 17 other people with acreages around 3
acres.  We are 25 miles from Wichita, KS.  The development is surrounded on
ALL 4 SIDES for about 2 1/2 miles by Kansas Wheat land.  I have three and a
half miles of dirt/rock road to travel on to get to a highway.  I like the
country.

My point?  There was a CCR on this development that said no antennas, no
towers.  However it expressly allowed ONE horse and ONE pole barn.  :)  Why
do you think anyone needed a CCR prohibiting antennas and towers on this
property?  Because its a COOKIE CUTTER CCR with minor modifications - copied
from suburban CCRs.  You know, I can kind of understand why someone might
want to prohibit their urban neighbor from erecting a 100' tower on their
120x240' lot.  However, in Kansas you have to buy at LEAST 20 acres to get
away from CCRs.  It is hard to come up with 20 acres available that doesn't
cost PROHIBITELY.  I already drive 25 hours to work everyday.  I'm an
engineer, I'm OK financially, but I'm not that rich.  Perhaps retired people
do have an advantage in being able to live a little more remotely.  The ARRL
is fighting to allow reasonable attennas everywhere.  Perhaps in urban
environments a tower that extends no more than 20 feet about the existing
housing structure is reasonable.  Perhaps in suburban environments 30 feet
is allowable.  Perhaps in other environments it should be unrestricted.  I
think the idea of not grandfathering into existing CCRs is a good one.
However, preventing unreasonable future CCRs is very desirable.  Here-here
that we have the ARRL to even begin to fight this insidious issue.

[By-the-way, ALMOST everyone in the development had a 40 foot "antenna
vision tower" that no one bothered to get community approval on.  So, I drew
up a two page pictorial explanation of my proposed tower installation and
INCLUDED the fact that I was at the lowest point in the development and
NEEDED a 100 foot tower (I'm at least 40 feet below a ridge line) to get TV
reception.  I took my kids with me - they ended up talking about how they
enjoy ham radio, too.  I got 17 out of 17 people to sign the petition by the
way.  And found a lot of my neighbors who were interested in ham radio,
too!]

73

Randy
N0LD

> I, for one, totally agree with your position. I to live in an isolated
> rural area that would not have been my wife's first choice but she married
> a ham. After all these years she sees many more reasons for this "splendid
> isolation". The top item on the contract to buy this place was no
> antenna  or tower restrictions by CCR. I think people who so desire can
> choose areas that restrict pets or kids or antennas or personal water
craft
> or the color of your  car if they jointly so choose. I live near the crest
> of a mountain top. My view is unobstructed for 50 miles, 9 mountain
ranges.
> I can't imagine a ham moving in front of me with a big ugly tower and I
> bought enough land to insure that don't happen. My two big ugly towers are
> behind me ;-)
>
> 73, Ed
>

> At 05:10 AM 12/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Hello All
> >I have been following this thread and I read the newsletter from the
ARRL.