[Towertalk] Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Double protection - climbing
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:32:58 -0500
At 04:06 PM 12/16/02 -0500, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/16/02 12:34:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, hrg@cifnet.com
>writes:
>
> > Is there a beginner's guide to climbing towers?
>
>     I've never seen one, not even in the commercial field. Everyone picks up
>their knowledge on-the-job and/or from more experienced hands.
>
>     This is where the splendid folk on TowerTalk can be real helpful. Just
>realize that *everyone* has their own preferred method for some of these
>things. I'll guarantee you that if you've got 5 tower climbers, you've got 5
>different ways of doing things.

But I think that most would agree on a few important basics.  Of these, I'd
suggest a few, and I'm sure others can add similar thoughts:

-- think it through before you go.  Anticipate as many issues as you can
before you're up in the air.

-- take your time, and don't overschedule.  Everything takes longer on the
tower, so don't overload yourself and hurry.

-- keep your mind focused on the job from the time you leave the ground
till the time you return.  I bet more accidents have happened on the way
down, when people are thinking "I wonder how it's gonna work," than on the
way up.

-- when you start to get tired, get down.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower