RE: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal

To: lladerman@earthlink.net, tom.dixon@xtra.co.nz, N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune news: Ham radio tower has the OKsignal
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:16:04 +0000
I know a lot of us would like to contact the neighborhood spokesman in some fashion or other, but as the one who introduced this news item, I say let's please respect the wishes of atty. O'Connell and his client and stay out of this. I had been under the impression after reading the newspaper story, that the whole matter was settled but I was apparently mistaken about that, for which I apologize. We all want this guy to have a tower I'm sure, so please don't contact the non-ham parties in this and give them any fuel to burn on and make Mr. O'Connell's difficulties even more of a p.i.t.a. than they already are.

I suspect the anti-tower sentiment is really one form of a general conformity zealousness--some people want every home and lot in their vicinity to appear to have been popped out of an injection mold. Anything that stands out and is unique to the neighborhood is viewed by those with that mentality as being bad. I base this on the knowledge that similar disputes have broken out over really bizarre sculptures, radical additions to homes, homes being painted hot pink, giant outdoor gyms in back yards, and so on. Some people base some sort of sense of security on having everything around them be predictable and similar. Oddly, baby boomers seem to be the worst cases. Unfortunately, this leads to a general erosion of the rights of property owners, which is what the antenna issue is really about. Don't you, as a property owner, have the right to do anything you want to on your property, as long as it does not jeopardize the health and property of neighbors? That is what I believe.

When people say such and such lowers property values, what they are really saying is that they have been incompetent managers of their resources, and have become over exposed to risk in the real property sector of their total assets. If they are going to view property as an investment, which they are indirectly admitting to doing, they are accepting some degree of risk. As with any other investment, a competent manager limits his exposure to an acceptable degree. To illustrate:

Mr. A has $500,000 in total assets. He purchases a $150,000 home and a $25,000 automobile, and puts the rest of his money in stocks, CDs, bonds or mutual funds for these same items. He chooses to live modestly and his rather unostentateous house meets his needs nicely.

Mr. B has $500,000 but he purchases a $400,000 trophy home and an impressive $60,000 Mercedes SUV. Little is left for equities etc. or even furniture, but everyone is impressed and thinks he must be doing very well.

To Mr. A's misfortune, a lot down the street is sold to a used car dealer, who has a hubcap sideline and puts bars on all his windows. Mr. A's property value drops to $130,000. This is no big deal however, as his other investments are doing well, and he can afford to wait for the value on his property to return which it will do in time.

Mr. B's house next door is purchased by a church, which turns it into a homeless shelter. He goes to all the planning board meetings to protest this, squealing like a near flat tire on a hot day in L.A.
His property may decline $100,000 in value, a pretty hefty hit. It will take a long time to recover, and he is stuck with it unless he wants to accept a loss. However, the reality is that he has no one to blame but himself because he incompetently managed his assets and risked a far too high percentage of them in his property.

People who complain about property values should be asked what percentage of their total assets is made up by their homes. Chances are it is over 50% which is much too high but in this day of never blaming oneself and taking responsibility for one's mistakes, this will likely be a tough nut to swallow. Instead they strike out at neighbors such as a ham, who is innocently trying to enjoy his pasttime.

Rob/K5UJ