Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:33:55 -0700
I pulled the club's tower trailer out of the warehouse and took a few
shots.

This trailer was built by Wayne Overbeck in the late 70's (evident by
the 1 7/8 ball).  The tower is a Triex MW-33 that sits 12' nested and
33' extended w/ 4-sections.  A 10 pole gives us 40'!

Other than a few minor modifications by me, the trailer is original from
the late 70's.  I have towed it at speeds in excess of 85MPH (late for
Field Day!), used it for races and even on a hill top for a portable
repeater.  I have guyed the top section on the hilltop, but for Field
Day, it holds a 3-ele 20 meter mono band just fine!  This year we had
an A-4 (yuck yuck) and a 4-ele 6M on it.

It uses C-channel throughout (YUCK!) and has outriggers that fold out.
I'll set it up someday in the near future and post more pics.

Mind you, I did NOT build this trailer and if I was to do it I would
have done MANY things different!  But, it has worked almost flawlessly
for the past 30 years!  Still has the original G78 bias tires!

It probably weighs 300-500 pounds and tows great!  It's narrow and short
and I set it up all by myself.

Here is the link
http://www.k6rix.com/towertrailer/

Dino  -  K6RIX