Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer

To: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer
From: "Terry Gerdes" <terry@ab5k.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:53:41 -0500
If you live near the border, another option would be to purchase a used
light tower.   The Border Patrol makes heavy use of light towers.  They come
up for sale on the government bid sales every few months.  The ones that I
have purchased are made by Magnum and are called NightBuster 4000.  New they
cost around $10,000.  They have a three cylinder Isuzu diesel engine driving
a 6KW generator.  The tower cranks up to 30 feet and has four 1000 watt
lamps.  Manufacture data at:  http://www.m-p-llc.com/Light%20Towers.htm

You should inspect before you bid as some are stripped for parts.  However
if you are just looking for the trailer and tower, that may be what you are
looking for.   The engines will typically have about 20,000 hours on them
which is about 1/2 life before overhaul.

I purchased five of them several months ago.  They typically go from between
$400 and $1600 depending on the shape of the unit.  We were able to get four
of the five units running.  Most of the issues were cracked hoses.  Here is
a picture of the machines that I purchased.

http://www.ab5k.net/images/lighttowersII.jpg

If anyone ends up with one of these units, we have a set of manuals in PDF
format.

73 Terry - AB5K