[TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 01:07:54 -0800
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:21:43 -0800
From: "W7RIS - ARRL" <W7RIS.ARRL@softgoals.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ

It looks like the acquisition of Cruhcraft by MFJ Enterprises was a will
balanced purchased of another moderately dysfunctional company. I can only
hope as these companies become assimilated into MFJ, the good parts of these
companies help to ultimately produce an improved enterprise.

Mike - W7RIS

##  so, who does the engineering for Hy-gain / Cushcraft these days ??
Or do they intend to crank out the same old junk for the next 20 yrs ?
Sorta reminds me of Tyco, that's bought out  everything and
everybody....including
Kilovac.  Kilovac has not brought out anything new since the take over by Tyco,
same old
stuff.   Gigavac on the other hand   [made up of ex- Kilovac R+D employees]
actually
listens to end users.   On the Gigavac G-2 relays, you can buy em with threaded
inserts
inside the 3 x cylinders, so it's now easy to attach cu strap's to em.  No more
trying to
solder 8 ga wire's inside hollow tubes.

## does hy-gain intend on using those silly clam shell boom to ele clamps ?
[25 ksi al]
Those are the ones that take all afternoon to align on a TH-11. The 204ba has
been out since
1963...it needs a makeover imo.  Somebody should remind MFJ that those
firecracker looking things,
called traps, are on a par with 8 track tape machines, don't work, never did,
and never will.
KLM managed to re-invent itself as M2,  maybe MFJ needs some of the same
medicine.

##  If mfj  wants a free lesson, they should look at the superb  service [and
products]  from
DX eng, and also Davis RF, and also AS.   I just got yet another 2 x  box's
from DX eng,
2 x weeks ago, this time a whole bunch of 3'/6' AL tubing was shipped, and came
in it's own,
very well packaged box....just a few days flat, between on line ordering,and a
knock on the door.

##  MFJ is just fooling itself, if a big percentage of it's products  comes
back for repair... under
warranty.   That will kill any profit margin right there.   A friend of mine in
VE6 land, bought an
AL-600 amp. The finals  exploded in it.   Same deal with the replacement amp.
Turns out they left a
huge air gap between transistor's  and their  heatsinks !   Of course MFJ
swears on a stack of bibles
that my associate is a complete idiot.  Amp #3  was built right, and actually
works.

later.... Jim   VE7RF