[TowerTalk] Parts from MFJ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Parts from MFJ
From: "Anthony W. DePrato" <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:37:14 -0500
At 04:35 PM 11/24/2010, Mark Robinson wrote:
>Yes  agreed - what Quality Control.  I just bought an MFJ-259B Antenna
>Analyzer. years ago when they first come out along with a couple
>other peices of test gear.. i also had to go inside and fix cold
>solder joints and missed joints.

MFJ gave me 2 tuners and 2-  811h amps when i went to KC4 in 92 ..
the amps worked but gave a lot of problems while we were in VP8 so we
did go inside and fix a few problems before we left Stanley. good
thing we had time to burn them in or we would have been in big
trouble while on Thule. as for the tuners.. we did not try them
before we got on the Island. how much can go wrong with a tuner
????LMAO...  well setting in one of the tents about 3am i started
smelling something burning like plastic looked over at the tuner and
it was on fire... yes not just smoking but flames coming out of it.
meter was on fire and melting down into the tuner . the cup of hot
chok i was working on worked well on putting out the fire. well to
make a long story short the second tuner burnt up a few days later..
and these were the big high power tuners at that time. gave then to
Peter VP8WA when we got back for parts..
guess you still get what you pay for.
73 Tony

QBE  ZUT  DE WA4JQS

ANTHONY W. (Tony) DePrato WA4JQS EXTRA - HEAVY
Since 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME # 35
DXCC HONOR ROLL - 346
A1-OP      FISTS  # 10573   SKCC #1227  F.O.P. LODGE 68
DXCC PHONE- DXCC CW- DXCC RTTY- DXCC MIXED-5BDXCC
DXCC  80, 40, 20, 15, 10 METERS
WAC SSB, WAC CW, WAC RTTY, WAC SAT, 6 BAND WAC
WAS AM, WAS PHONE, WAS CW, WAS RTTY, WAS 80-10,WAS 160 ,WAS 6 METERS
South Sandwich Island Dxpedition Group
CALLS HELD:
WA4JQS/ZS1, WA4JQS/KC4, WA4JQS/4K1
ZD8JQS, V31SS, VP8BZL, VP8SSI, 3Y0PI