[TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:33:35 -0800
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:05:05 -0500
From: "David  Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ

Come on gang lighten up.

MFJ is still a small company.  Martin Jue and Steve Pan (the management) are
trying to do a good job.  I am surprised that with all the acquisitions they
are able to keep up.

##  I find that hard to believe...after looking through the entire
mfj/ameritron catalog.....it's huge.  MFJ  has been around for a LONG
time.   How many decades does it take em..to 'figure it all out' ?
Why are they still selling crap, like  BN-86 baluns ?    If they improved just
some of the products..and dumped the rest, they would spend way less time
dealing with angry end users on the phone...and resulting warranty issues.
Think abt it.  Why would you want to offer 16 x diffrent types of ant tuners ?
Why not just make 1-3..that actually work ?   One simple tuner..minus the
metering
is all anybody wants.  Nobody needs a dummy load, with a built in.. has been
wattmeter.
Just build one dummy load, sans metering.

I sold an MFJ tuner to a fellow in Memphis and UPS put a forklift through
the box and KOed the meter.  MFJ fixed that I sent the tuner back to the
fellow in two weeks.  I helped a fellow overseas get parts for his TH-11
which he got very quickly.

Compared to Mosley and Idiom Press they run a good ship.

##  IMO,   Mosley has no clue whatsoever, about how to build an antenna,
any antenna.  Mosley still drones on about.."establishing resonance".... and
'52 ohms'.    Equal spaced monobanders went the way of the do-do bird back in
the
late 80's.    How mosley and wilson managed to build hair pin / matching
networks,
that work on 20-15-10m is beyond me.   The secret of course, is the trap's used
have
such a high R  component to em.. that when added to the  feedpoint Z, they end
up
closer to 50 ohms..and it's one big fudge.....swr wise.

##  ever seen a 175 lb Telrex  20m yagi ?    6 x equal spaced els on a 46'
boom.   They
didn't......'get it'  either....and went outa business.  That mystery black
[sealed] black balun
box that telrex built for their tribanders is a real hoot...... after you cut
one open with a
band saw.   You will gag.

Later... Jim   VE7RF

Dave K4JRB