Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ

To: "N7mal" <n7mal@citlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:35:30 -0500
Yes  agreed - what Quality Control.  I just bought an MFJ-259B Antenna
Analyzer. It didn't workout of the box. If I forced the PL259 over it worked
intermittently. With nothing to lose I opened it up and found that the small
wire from the center pin of the chassis mounted SO-239 connector to the
circuit board was hanging over the board but not connected. I noticed that
where this wire exited the SO-239 there was a cold joint which was apparent
by the solder color and crystalline look to the joint. After I had
resoldered both of these connections the Analyzer functioned correctly.

Isn't there any quality control.. Units like that shouldn't be leaving the
factory. I can only guess that the operators are paid by the unit produced
and knock them out as quickly as possible.

Mark N1UK