Re: [TowerTalk] Tower lawsuit

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower lawsuit
From: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 10:23:20 -0500
On Feb 4, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> To have a tower  fall full length and still remain on  your
> own property is pretty tough if a ham lived on a typ city lot..like 50' x
> 120'  or  similar.
> Freestanding towers, like Trylons  are designed to break at the 40'
> level..and not at the base.
> They will not  fall full length.   A UST  crank up is the same deal, they
> break 3 x sections up.

SOMETIMES they break in the middle.   Not always.   I'll bet a guyed tower with
a minimum base will fall intact if a guy wire fails.

If you elect to live on a small lot, I can certainly understand regulations.

> Now if a 100' tall tree on my own property, falls  down on my neighbors'
> house, the neighbors'
> own house insurance covers the damage.   If the neighbor does not have
> insurance, he is outa
> luck. My insurance does NOT cover my neighbors' home.  Same deal with my
> tower.

Trees are different than something YOU erect.   If I were your neighbor and
your tower fell on my property and caused damage, I certainly would expect YOU
to pay for the damage.   Why should **I** pay for **your** failure?

And, as has already been noted, if you have a defective tree and do not take
care of it, you can be sued if it causes damage.

Ken WA8JXM