Re: [TowerTalk] Where to get HFTA Software

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <dotravel@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where to get HFTA Software
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 23:16:27 -0500
RE your exact tower location -

Small handheld hikers GPS units that give Lat. and Long. can be had on eBay
for cheap. I found several Magellan Blazer 12 units  in the $25-$50 price
range . They were  among the earlier designs for hikers and don't have as
many fancy features as the newer units so the hikers are unloading them. I
find them ideal for my simple minded boating because they give you just what
you need to get from here to there and don't complicate it with a  lot of
stuff I'm nor interested in, but they do also give you lat and long, so you
can just take it to the base of the tower and read degrees, minutes and
seconds, which should be close enough and can easily be converted in decimal
equivalents that can be entered into the HFTA program.

I agree that it is a PITA to use HFTA but it does give a lot of good info
for those who persist. Even if you have already committed to your
installation it's interesting to see what kind of performance you might
expect. Or, if your looking for a place to buy or build it's a good
evaluation tool and you'll learn lots about the ups and downs of the
neighborhood within a radius of a couple of miles.

Gene / W2LU